I have spent much of the past week looking at cars. Buying a car was meant to be one of my first jobs after coming back from the narrowboat. We currently have a Nissan Qashqai SUV and a bright yellow little Fiat 500. While we were away we decided we could live with just one car, and that should be a slightly larger SUV. So this week I have been trawling both Internet and car showrooms, looking at options. We came close with a Mazda CX-5 but I just seem to be unable to make the decision. That is unlike me, so I thought I would do a bit of self-help in my blog, to examine why, and then decide on next steps.
- We have always loved the cars we have bought and while the cars we have seen have been perfectly logical and sensible, I just haven’t felt the passion.
- At the moment we can’t downsize to one car because our son, Tin, needs a car to get to work, on the other side of Edinburgh. Public transport would take several hours.
- The car we need to replace is the Fiat, because after its last MOT, it looks like it could have issues in the future. But we have been looking at SUVs, and with the Qashqai would end up with two SUVs.
- Given climate change I really don’t want to own two SUVs.
- I feel we ought to be looking at electric, but with a fair few long journeys, the range is not quite there yet in second hand cars.
- We have spent a lot of money on the Qashqai in the past 12 months and that will be lost if we sell it.
- It is a bad time to buy a second hand car. Because of part shortages, there are not enough new cars coming off production lines, so customers are looking at second hand instead, and that has made the market really hot.
- If we have to have two cars, what I really want is a toy car for me – preferably a small convertible. But I know that will just annoy Mandy, who wants the bigger SUV. So I am prevaricating.
- Right now we have lots of options, and as soon as we make a decision we have no options.
- But I don’t feel happy not making a decision, so need to do something.
What next steps? I have some long car journeys around the UK over the next few days, as I go to visit family members that I have not seen since the first lockdown. That will give me time to consider what I really want. I also need to talk more to Mandy. Or perhaps I’ll just wait till she reads this blog…
What should I do?
Greetings Pete, you say you need 2 cars at the moment so your son can get to work, I would look at keeping the Fiat for another 12 months. Things may not go wrong with it and you know the history of the car (unless Mandy has been using it for doing donuts in Tesco’s carpark ?). If the Fiat does become uneconomical to run and repair bills too costly, then you could trade it in for another Fiat or perhaps a 2nd hand Golf. Tough decision for you, but I am sure you will come to the right one. Stay safe and happy driving.
Sounds like you should postpone the decision for a bit. I didn’t see anything on the need to make the decision right now. Get more use out of what you have.
You may well be right Betty